Last weekend we got hit with two winter storms, and so in preparation it was time to put the ol parrot on the shoulder and batten down the farm-ship. With a little help from my friends, we put in two more greenhouses. These storms were supposed to bring up to 10″ of rain combined so i wanted to cover the soil so it didn’t get pounded and washed out. The actual rainfall was about half of that amount and the main feature turned out to be the winds. This was a test of my greenhouse building and indeed they were tested. There was no way for the quick hoops to keep their covers with only sandbags and straw bales anchoring. That ended up being fine as we had 2-3″ rain each storm with a day in between, so the uncovered greens (pictured below) were very happy. The main greenhouses weren’t fully finished. I made the judgement that i could bundle up the ends and tie them down before doors were installed. What ended up happening was that South winds found the smallest of openings in the ends and raged through the length of the 90′ houses, turning them into wind tunnels, violently gusting back from the opposite direction, trying to snap the wooden door frames and lift them into the sky. Both sides of the covering are buried so Dorothy didn’t get blown out of Kansas, but what did end up happening was the hoops were pushed lower into the ground-something which can be fixed, trivial in the context of such high winds. After the cleanup for the storm early last week, we are now in for a stretch of above average temperatures for the foreseeable forecast and the greens are really taking off. A BIG Thanks to the Earthworker Team for helping the farm survive and doing the market on a rainy Sunday and to our customers who came to the Sebastopol Farmers’ Market in the pouring rain!